The Grant Government medical College, Mumbai is one of the premiere institution of India affiliated to the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik. The Foundation of the institution dates back to 1845 and with a consistent performance in ranking in the top 10 Medical colleges all over India.
Sir J. J. Group of Hospitals is a conglomerate of 4 Hospitals: Sir J. J. Hospital, St. Georges Hospital, Gokuldas Tejpal Hospital, Cama & Albless Hospital. A combined effort of Sir Jamsetjee Jejeebhoy & Robert Grant saw the birth of this Institute to cater to the medical care of the patients and offer Western Medical education of the Indians. The Institute exhibits a prestigious history to document the award winning research work of Robert Koch on Vibrio Cholera & Sir V M Haffkine/ Waldemar Haffkine on the Plague Vaccine and their likes.
The Grant Medical College & Sir J.J. Group of Hospitals is a premier Medical Institution of India under Government of Maharashtra.
Sir Robert Grant (1780-1838) on becoming Governor of Bombay in August 1834 was deeply touched by the vast number of Indian’s who used to die for want of proper medical care. He envisaged the idea of Indians being trained in European system of Medicine. Thus in 1838, he proposed to the Government, the formation of a Medical College & a Teaching Hospital.
Luckily enough for the cause of Medical Education & Care, in March 1838, Sir Jamshetjee Jejeebhoy, the First Indian Knight & Baronet (1783-1859), offered a magnanimous donation of One hundred thousand rupees.
The proposal of Medical College was sanctioned by the Government & conveyed in the letter dated 18th July 1838. However it was sad & ironical that just nine days before the arrival of this wonderful news, Sir Robert Grant passed away.
It was the famous Sanskrit scholar Jagannath Shankarsheth who proposed the name “GRANT MEDICAL COLLEGE” to honor Sir Robert Grant. The foundation stone was laid on 30th March 1843 & the college became a reality on 3rd November 1845 & thus started the Grant Medical College (GMC).
Simultaneously with the plans & foundation of the college, it was also decided with the aid of munificent donation offered by Sir Jamshetjee Jejeebhoy, to substitute the previously existing Native General Hospital in city by creating the Sir J.J. Hospital. Its foundation stone was laid on the 3rd of January 1843 & it was opened for reception of the sick from 15th May 1845.
The first Professors of GMC were
- Charles Morehead – MD, FRCS, Professor of “The Institute & Practice of Medicine” who was also the first principal of GMC
- Dr. John Peet – MD, FRCS, Professor of Anatomy & Surgery
- Dr. Herbert John Girand – MD, Professor of Chemistry & Materia Medica
The first batch of 9 students
was admitted to the GMC, Bombay on 1st November 1845. They were
- Bhawoe Daje Lad Parsekar
- Monoel A.D. Carvalho
- Sebestian A.D. Carvalho
- Atmaram Pandurang
- Paul Francis Gomes
- Fardemjee Jamshetji
- Ananta Chandroba Dkule
- JC Lisoba
- Manoel Antonio D’Abrew
The motto of the Institution is
MENS SANA IN CORPORE SANO – i.e. – SOUND MIND IN SOUND BODY